Thursday, February 19, 2009

yellow week: day 4 {comfort}

I was talking to my girlfriend, Debbie, yesterday and we were bemoaning the gray season that this is....no snow, no sun....gray skies and slush. She said that this time of year always reminded her of used up chewing gum. You know, you've been chewing it for a while and you're tired of it, it's got no flavor and you're just ready to spit it out. I thought that pretty much nailed it for me...so in an effort to share a little flavor, I thought I'd pass on two great comfort foods. We had White Chicken Chilli and Cornbread for dinner last night! Thus, the yellow photo above. (Kenzie made the cornbread and it was a hit!) These are economical, healthy and filling! Enjoy!
White Chicken Chilli

1 medium onion, finely chopped (I use frozen chopped onions...saves time)
1 4oz. can green chiles, chopped and drained

2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cans Great Northern beans (you can soak your own overnight to make it even more economical)
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
3 TBSP olive oil
3 TBSP flour
3 cups chicken broth

In a large pot, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent. (don't brown the onion) Add chiles, flour and cumin, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add beans (rinsed) and chicken broth; bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and cook until hot. Garnish with sour cream or salsa if desired. Serve with Kenzie's Cornbread.

Kenzie's Cornbread

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg

Heat oven to 400. Grease 8 or 9 inch pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are combined. Pour batter into prepared pan...allow to rest 10 minutes before baking. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm....enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe yellow is the new color of envy?! great job kenzie, and great job mom. coming to a table near us. those recipes are keepers. and i love the gum reference, i can certainly relate.

Journeying Five said...

looks very yummy!

Kristyn Knits said...

yum! I'm going to try this one. thanks for helping me with my meal plan for next week.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, cornbread!!!! I liked the idea of the chicken chili, but Isaiah can't have beans . . . and chili without beans isn't the same thing! =0) The cornbread, however, can be tweaked . . . rice milk instead of cow's milk and egg replacer instead of an egg. Good stuff! Thanks for the recipe! =0) I think we'll try the chili without the beans and see what happens. =0)

Blessings!
Kelly

The Marini's said...

Hi Lisa! As I was trying to tell you as I was running out the door at church, I loved the chili! It was so delicious and easy to make (those are my 2 criteria!) so thank you for posting the recipe. You are such a great cook and overall person!!!

Love ya!
Rachel