Sunday, February 27, 2011

Diamond Cable Gilet

I completed my Diamond Cable Gilet...Before starting this project, I did not know that a gilet was a sleeveless jacket or vest.  Apparently they are to be worn as an outer layer of warmth.  Every time I knit a new piece I learn something new.  This vest was no exception.  Other than learning what a gilet was, I learned to keep track of when I began decreasing for shoulders and for the neck. (Trying to eyeball it just was not cutting it) My seaming skills also improved while putting this piece together. This site really helped me a lot.   
I really enjoyed this hand knit and I've worn it a couple of times since I finished it and after wearing it, I like it even more. Whew, that's always a relief.  Knitting is a bit gamble in so many ways.   Don't you hate when you finish knitting something and you really don't like it?  That's happened to me on more than one occasion

But, I guess that's the thing with knitting and life....it's the process that matters and what you learn along the way.  The shaping that happens is what makes it all worthwhile.  However, sometimes that shaping requires much patience and many attempts.  Ahhh, but enough philosophizing...
Here's the knitty gritty:
Pattern: Diamond Cable Gilet from Sirdar Winter Glamour booklet 339
Needles: US 9 and US 101/2 circulars
Yarn: Sirdar Click Chunky; cobble  I used 9 1/2 balls. 
Size: 32/34
Modifications:none

This yarn is a wool blend; it knit up wonderfully and has a great softness to it.  The price made it perfectly affordable as well.  I found the button at Michaels.  I thought it was just right.  (and it meant that I didn't have to run across town to the sewing shop!  bonus!) 
I have about 5 more projects in the Winter Glamour book that I'd like to make.  Now, it'll just be picking the yarn out.....and finding the time.  How about you, what's in your knitting basket right now?  Whatever it is, I hope you enjoy the process as much as the finished project. 

20 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

Oh Lisa ... this gilet is absolutely wonderful! And thanks for the new vocabulary word, too :-)

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! It's very flattering on you. I especially like the button. At the moment I'm knitting a bright green cotton summer cardigan, and also working on a patchwork blanket, which is to be a wedding present next November.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You knit like a pro! And I never heard of a gilet before -- though I have a few in my closet. I'll have to stop calling them vests. That button looks great with all the cabling.

Sally said...

This is beautiful - you did a great job! It looks so comfortable!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful! Looks gorgeous on you and what a perfect project to transition into spring with.

From All Stitched Up said...

Bravo ! What a great job you did and it looks great on you too! I need a new baby present so I'm going to make a little vest for fall. Baby knits are always fun because fit is not an issue.

Tracy said...

LOVE the gilet, Lisa--it looks sooo good on you! And that button is just the crowing touch. This is a really pretty knit vet. The first vest I knit, which was my first garment knit many years ago, it was so pretty--but it did not fit me well, so that was disappointing... LOL! It's been busy for a while, so my knit projects have been on the small, quick, easy side. Currently knitting some new pot holders for the kitchen. I'm hoping to start a larger knit project during March. And I've got a crochet ripple throw that is sloooowly taking shape. :o) Happy Week ((HUGS))

Meg said...

Like pretty much everyone else, I had never heard of the word "gilet" before! It looks so great on you! I have yarn for three sweaters for me--and I've had this yarn since Christmas. I just haven't gotten started. One of them is "wintry", the other two will be more springy/transitional. I'm currently working on a tomten for my son, then I want to make a baby sweater for our associate pastor--her shower is in late March. Hopefully by then I'll have one of my sweaters done! Can't wait to see what you make next.

Gigi said...

Love your gilet, and no, I didn't know what that meant either ;). And isn't it lovely when you actually do like the finished product -- after all the time & thought you've put into making something!? I also love your 'philosphizing' -- so true! Every project is a learning experience in one way or the other, isn't it?
Blessings,
GG

a friend to knit with said...

lisa! LOVE those cables... and that i learned what a gilet was! :)
it looks fantastic on you... (i am still shocked you don't like that vine bolero!)
i love the whole layering thing... and this will take you right into the spring!

Lydia said...

It turned out beautifully! It looks wonderful on you. I know what you mean about never being quite sure if you will actually like something you have knitted or not...I think that, along with yarn cost, is what keeps me hesitant to make things in larger sizes.

Kristyn Knits said...

LOVE it!! It fits you perfectly. and it's oh so wearable. like how you added the scarf.
nothing on the needles right now. I'm taking a little adventure through paper this week. hoping to start a new project soon. something that I can wear often!

Larissa said...

Your gilet looks beautiful on you! (ha, i've never heard of a gilet either and just wanted to use it in a sentence!) You wear it better than the model on the booklet! Love the cables and all the ribbing. You did a great job with the ribbed front panels - mine always want to pull up at the bottom. I'm going to need a piece like this for next winter because my coat has such tight sleeves that it doesn't fit over a bulky sweater.

I'm currently blocking abigail's sweater and starting a baby sweater - for a gift. I've been sick for the past several days and am just feeling a bit better today so no big projects underway. I so owe you and email, lady. Thanks so much for all your kind messages - they mean so much!

Hope you get to wear your gilet somewhere fun this weekend! (just wanted to use the word one last time)

Ruth said...

It looks wonderful!!! You are an amazing knitter.

Ruth

Designs on 47th Street said...

Gorgeous, beautiful, fabulous, envious (whoops...didn't mean to put that one in there!) LOL! I do love your knitting projects and this one is no exception. How fun to be able to knit really nice patterns such as this. And I LOVE that funky button, girl! :)

If I were to have a knitting basket no doubt my cat would be in it. Anxious to see what you start next.

Thanks for liking my dishes and my table.

Donna

Gloria said...

Wow!! That turned out very beautiful. And you look awesome in it! I like the little scarf with it too...very cute.

Have a happy weekend!!

XOXO Gloria

Cathy said...

An extremely fetching gilet.( I like learning new words too.)

Knitting has fallen by the wayside this winter at my house, however, I do have a tea cozy on my needles. Maybe I can knit once more, your project certainly makes it tempting.

Stephanie said...

Just gorgeous! I'm loving sweaters with out sleeves, I end up pushing them up anyway, so why have them at all. But really, I LOVE this!!!!

Mary said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

This looks incredibly professional. I agree, you make it look better than the original pattern model! I am half way through knitting this and stuck on the shoulder seaming. I checked the site you recommended to use, but I wondered what method you used to seam the shoulders? I've already cast them off so 3 needle bind off is not an option, but there seem to be no other instructions for seaming reverse ss