Sunday, August 30, 2009

school room redo!

It all started off innocently enough...I just needed to touch up the cabinets because the knots in the wood had begun to show through. After I painted the cabinets, the woodwork looked off. So I gave that a quick swipe with fresh paint and stood back to admire my work. Well, as you can guess, the walls appeared quite dingy next to the freshly painted woodwork. This led to the ceiling needing painting and by then I knew it was time to just do it all and freshen up the whole room! So, here's peek at what it looked like before (and I really mean just a peek). I'm kicking myself that I didn't take a bunch of before pictures. But I guess I didn't see the need, I was only going to repaint the cabinets!
The walls had cranberry ticking wallpaper on them about 3/4 of the way up. The kids and I took down the wallpaper and I painted the walls green (after we scrapped, soaked, peeled and primed them). I added a new curtain and some accessories. We love it! It has made starting school even more of a fresh start.

The paint is a Duron custom color in semi-gloss, but I found the color at Lowes. It is called Homstead Resort Pale Olive. Sometimes it looks more green...it seems to change with the light. I did some sample colors on the wall before I committed to this one. The family was split on whether or not they liked it. But now that it's up and completed everyone really likes it. I wonder if this new look will inspire us to greatness this year? Hey! A mom can always hope!

20 comments:

Stephanie said...

The color looks so fresh, warm and inviting. Great start to the school year! Looks like a great room for home schooling. Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Anonymous said...

And your room looks beautiful!!! =) The yellow in our family room changes shades with the light too. Its pretty cool! =)
Emily

From All Stitched Up said...

The room looks great. Very inviting - I'd like to spend some time there. I think your kids will flourish in there. Here's to a great school year ! I hope it's everything you want it to be.

Tracy said...

One thing always leads to another...LOL! Your school room is beautiful...what a great job you did with a little bit of make over. The soft sagey/olive green and cream pair so elegantly. I can see how this will be a great room to work in this year. Make you want to linger... hopefully the kids will think so too! ;o) Happy weekend ((HUGS))

Sigrun said...

I like the new look. I'm toying with olive green for the "neutral" color throughout most of the house. but it's quite a change from light grey. I'll buy a can of paint and start in the laundry/mud room. If we don't like it, I'll call it primer and paint over it. They say that green is calming, so I'm sure your room will inspire greatness.

Anonymous said...

I love it! You are so going to have to help me decorate Isaiah's school room . . . of course, we have to build the room, first. =0) I was actually looking at that color for my bedroom - it was either the Homstead Resort Pale Olive (seriously, that's the name on the back of the sample) or this other stuff that reflects light (which I can't seem to find the sample for) - it has some sort of silver, glittery stuff in it (if those words work). =0) Sheesh, it stinks when you have a cold and your brain is in a fog. =0) I love the curtains, too!

Love you guys!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Your room is so beautiful, we have used a similar olive green also and I love it. Love your decorating to, very similar to mine!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the basket rack! So great. I want the rack and the baskets :)

Larissa said...

the room looks great! and I love that the kiddos took part in redoing the room - i bet they're proud of how beautifully it turned out! what a great school space you have there with all those shelves and cabinets - so conducive to learning.

Ahipara Girl said...

this looks amazing, where do you get ur energy. i'd love a room for a classroom for my kids, i'd definitely homeschool then.

Alison said...

I think it's stunning! I'm a big fan of soothing greens!

Kristyn Knits said...

you ALL did an awesome job!! It looks so great!! LOVE the color and the drape fabric. It's perfect!!

a friend to knit with said...

a brand new start to the new year. perfect.

it looks fantastic!!!!!!!

Liz said...

I think it looks great! There's nothing like a redone room to inspire you!

cinnamongirl93 said...

Your new room looks fantastic. Nice job!
I had to laugh when I read your comment about things looking off. That's always how it goes for me. It never seems like a simple job. One thing always leads to another.

Ruth said...

I love how your schoolroom came out. It looks beautiful. I would love a schoolroom like yours. Ok~any would be great. LOL

Ruth

Tonya Gunn said...

That looks great - what a wonderful desk. I like the pile of old books. We actually use some vintage english lesson books and old readers.
Thanks for sharing. And, I know for sure what you mean about one thing leading to another.... have a wonderful day.

Journeying Five said...

loving it!

mark said...

it never ceases to amaze me, what a fresh coat of paint will do for a space. it looks crisp and clean, like the perfect bite of celery. congrats to all the hands that created this great new look.

Gigi said...

Love the school room redo. It looks so pleasant & inviting. I tried painting a room green years ago and never could get it right, but you did!
Blessings,
G