Tuesday, August 4, 2009

dishcloth diversions

No major knitting has been going on here. I'm busy with so many other things that I don't have the concentration for a long term knitting project. But I'm on the prowl for one. Have you seen Leslie's new sweater? Gorgeous! In the meantime, I've been working on knitting some dish cloths that will become gifts for family and friends. I started the Circle cloth on our way to Hilton Head and finished two of those. This was a very easy pattern. As I was knitting these up it was fun to watch the colors peek through the contrast color. I'm just not real happy with the side edges...they look kinda wonky. The second pattern I've been knitting is my new favorite. It is the Waffle Knit Dishcloth from Homespun Living. It's a classic. You could knit it in one solid color or add some stripes for contrast. I added stripes. This pattern is easy to memorize and I love the fabric that it produces. (My favorite blanket when I was a bitty girl was a waffle weave one) This pattern is fast and a great way to use up your leftovers. You can effectively put the stripes in wherever you want. I knit the yellow and white set up for a friend who just redid her kitchen. Two dishcloths and a container of nice kitchen hand soap makes for a great present. Both dishcloth patterns are free which makes them even better! Thanks to Hakucho and Deb! In between shucking corn, making pickled beets, cleaning out my boy's room to make room for new furniture, doing laundry from the beach and putting up green beans not much knitting is passing through these hands. Hopefully I'll get some sitting down time towards the end of the week. My grandma (who is 91) is coming to stay with us for a few days and I like to sit and visit with her.....she's got some great stories to tell. (never mind that you hear the same one over and over! LOL) So, while she spins her tales, I'll knit and listen. It'll probably be another dishcloth. I guess the two of us aren't really so different.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the colors. Their so bright!!! =)
Emily

Stephanie said...

Love the circle pattern, my mind is boggled to how you achieved that, but I love it! Very pretty!

Kristyn Knits said...

dish cloths are great diversions! easy to knit which makes them even easier to share. Love them! great patterns and great stitching. thanks for sharing them with us.

From All Stitched Up said...

I love the patterns and I think the waffle weave could make a good baby blanket. What kind of cotton have you been using?

Liz said...

Love that yellow and white!

hakucho said...

Your circle and waffle (one of my favorites, too )cloths are lovely. Beautiful color choices.I haven't knit a dishcloth in a while...getting a little itchy to knit some more. They are my all time favorite summertime knitting :)

happy knitting :)

Unknown said...

Those are gorgeous!!! You are so talented! I love the one that looks like little easter eggs - that pattern would also make an excellent baby blanket. =0)

Blessings!
Kelly

Heather said...

I love knitting dish and washcloths. They are quick and easy, and it just feels so good to have something hand knit be a part of your everyday life.

Gayle said...

Very nice. I have been making dish cloths also. The perfect project for me right now. I will have to try the circle cloth. It looks wonderful.

Tracy said...

Yummy cloths! Those are some seriously beautiful dishcloths...love the patterns and colors. That waffley pattern would be great for a throw or blanket!Happy Knitting and Happy Day :o)

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Another pattern in my queue of things for this winter to make. Yours are so bright and cheerful! My grandmother alwasys had knitting by her living room chair and it was always dishcloths and towels....whenever I see knit ones I always think of her :)

Larissa said...

i love that you create these small works of art to use for cleaning! maybe if I knit up some of these I will enjoy cleaning a bit more. the one with the yellow strip would make a gorgeous blanket. enjoy your visit with your grandma - and have her tell all those stories to the kiddos - it'll be new (and enjoyable) to them.

Designs on 47th Street said...

Loved this post! It just has warm, fuzzy written all over it. Knitting dishclothes while listening to your grandmother spin her tales is right up my alley. Oh, I'm jealous of your knitting ability. I'm such a home person. I would love to be able to give homemade dishclothes and a bottle of soap to someone. :) :) Donna

cathleen said...

I love your dishcloths....very pretty, Lisa.

Knitterella said...

You make dish cloths look beautiful!

The WoodLand School said...

I'm SO EXCITED to see these dishcloths! I sense an obsession returning for me (and a pleasant summertime diversion).

Gigi said...

Thanks so much for sharing these cute patterns! I'm running out of my little knitted dish cloths, so I'm going to try one of these asap.
Blessings,
G

Alison said...

Love them! Looks like a pleasant diversion!

Happy knitting-
ali