Saturday, August 22, 2009

lesson learned

I've been trying on and off, from time to time to get a picture of a hummingbird all summer. We have a feeder on our deck and the tiny birds come often to drink. I also have lot of flowers on my deck and they love the bright colors. So the other day I decided to sit down with my camera and stake out the feeding area. I got my settings on the camera all ready and began to wait. I was on a mission. Well, the hummingbirds must have seen me waiting in the shadows because they never came. I waited and waited and waited. I was sure they were over in my neighbor's yard slurping on her nectar. (you know the hummingbirds always buzz more on the other side of the fence). She's got beautiful red mandevillas and I was sure the hummingbirds were dining on her deck; but the hummingbirds weren't there. So I went back to my perch determined to wait a bit longer. Well, while I waited, I looked through the lens of my camera and this is what I saw:
I eventually got a picture of a hummingbird, but what I really captured was a lesson learned. As I was waiting there was so much beauty to enjoy. I must remember to look through the lens of life and capture the beauty that is around me. Too often I miss it as I wait for the elusive hummingbirds of life to show up. I didn't need to get up and go anywhere, I just had to look around me to see all the wonders and beauty that were there all along. So I hope this weekend you'll see the beauty around you and that you'll take the time to capture and enjoy it!

"The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance" Psalm 16:6

22 comments:

Sigrun said...

I find prayers very frustrating. I have faith, and I am grateful for all God's blessings, I try to live my life as well and generously as I can. Yet I don't always feel the connection. When I slow down enough to notice my surroundings, that's when the feeling of connectedness with Him is strongest.

Christina said...

Oh, I love this post! It's was a beautiful reminder to me to rejoice in what God has given right here and now.

btw, your photography was stunning. ; )

The WoodLand School said...

Wonderful post with amazing photos! I have chills on my arms! Thank you for sharing :-)

Liz said...

Good advice...

Stephanie said...

Great post and so true! I needed this right about now, thanks:)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Simply a lovely post. We all need to hear this from time to time, AND often. Really enjoyed your nature pictures.

Do you know what kind of a hummingbird that is? I'm not sure we have that kind here.

cathleen said...

Lisa...I love everything about this little post of yours...and I do love my hummingbirds. Thanks for the reminder of all the beauty that surrounds us each and every day.

kristyn said...

sometimes we can get so focused on one thing that we miss out on the many things that God sends to bless us with each day. thanks for the reminder not to narrow our focus too much!

Mary said...

Hey your latest posts have been great! You accomplish so much. I haven't even gotten to sewing the dress yet and have only 3 weeks left stateside...sigh. Well, I am still working which is a good thing. Hopefully I can work 2 more weeks.

Anonymous said...

excellent post!!!!!! How we are waiting and waiting for one pitacular blessing from God and we just seem not to be getting it....and then we look around and see all these other blessings that He is giving us!! It's awesome!!! Great thinking!! =) Ohh...and you all have (as we call them) "biting bugs" too!! Man dont irrate them...their bites HURT!!! lol =)
Emily

beki said...

so,so beautiful, all of it!

a friend to knit with said...

your words. your photos. the message.
all so beautiful!
happy weekend, lisa...

From All Stitched Up said...

I agree with you whole heartedly. This is why I love this 365 days and blogging. It makes me look beyond myself and find the good things all around me. We are very blessed.

Larissa said...

Lisa, I so love this post. I try hard every day to do this. but your words and beautiful photos really bring it home. thank you so much for never ceasing to inspire me!

Tracy said...

My heartstrings are really being tugged with all the beauty of this post, and your tender thought...thank you for sharing. And a gentle reminder to stop, look and listen... I'm trying to do more of that myself just now...especially outdoors as summer is waning here! Happy Days ((HUGS))

Heather said...

What a beautiful post. The here and now, and the beauty in it is always a gift, and you captured it beautifully.

Green Acres in the City said...

What a beautiful blog. I am looking forward to following and enjoying. good luck with school!

Tonya Gunn said...

Thank you for that beautiful post.
All the beauty that surrounds us is God's gift. Also, what a terrific photo!

Ruth said...

I have a hummingbird feeder on my definite list of things to get in the spring.

Wonderful post and I love the pictures. Thank you for sharing your heart.

BTW~How did the school room turn out?

Ruth

mark said...

i have so many times been right at that same place. i love steven curtis chapman's song, "wake up".

like playing gameboy
in the middle of the grand canyon.
eating candy at a gourmet feast.
playing in a puddle
when i could be swimming in the ocean.
tell me, what's the deal with me?
wake up and see the glory!

the great blessing, is that you saw that, albeit later than you wished. what a gracious God. the God of "it's not done yet." thanks for sharing your great gift for words and those amazing pictures.

Journeying Five said...

amen! so well spoken and so challenging! thank you!

Needles and Wool said...

Great pictures ! very nice

http://needlesandwool.blogspot.com