Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shine!

Sometimes I get a bit forgetful. I forget that it's not all about me. I can be in a hurry to do what I want, when I want. My agenda often overshadows His agenda. I get impatient and flustered. I worry and allow fear to whisper in my ear (and I end up listening to it). Forgetting that He's got it all in control. The job of the believer is to BELIEVE. Believing allows me to shine. I need to shine with the truth that He is more than enough. He is able to supply all my needs. He is generous.
"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. " Matthew 5: 16 (the message)
I want to paint my world with those God-colors. I want to SHINE!

10 comments:

Sigrun said...

How appropriate for me in my busy life. I inhaled my lunch, ran errands like a whirlwind, planned on sitting down to make tomorrow's to-do list, took a moment to check blogs--and here you are! The Spirit works in not-so mysterious ways when there are faith-based blogs. :)

larissa said...

Lisa, this is a beautiful post. Today, i came to the realization that i have fear of moving to (and spending money on) a new house. i don't know why - i just do. thanks for reminding me that there's a higher power whose got it all under control. now i just need to get my hands on one of those rocks!

Kristyn Knits said...

love the verse application you used. how blessed you were to find that rock, and how blessed we are that you shared your insight. lovely.
shine on!

Mary said...

That makes me think of the Newsboys song, Shine.

mark said...

what a perfect word, and one i would never have thought to pick. and i am right with ya on the selfish thing, although i have to say that i would also not have picked that word to describe you. you are a great God color yourself. shine on, ms. lisa.

From All Stitched Up said...

How appropriate for me too. I have been sheepishly giving God credit for a recent decision I made. I need to let him shine and enjoy the glow. Thanks!!!

a friend to knit with said...

love this post, lisa.
it truly shined through! as do you.

cathleen said...

What a lovely thought-provoking post! Thank you, Lisa, for sharing this. I am so glad I read this today! I want to shine, too! Also, thank you for always leaving your very kind comments on my blog...you are a sweetheart.

Journeying Five said...

well said and challenging!

Jessica said...

This post is such a reminder to me to slow down and step back...especially in this busy time of year!