Tuesday, May 5, 2009

girlfriends

Do you have a special friend? I have been blessed with some wonderful friends. You know what I mean? Friends that I can just be myself when I'm with them. Friends that I can call when I need a shoulder to cry on, or vent to when I'm feeling stressed. They are there for me when I need someone to pray or listen or laugh. Friends that will tell me when my purse is too mature for me...or that I'm being a little hard on myself. I'm so thankful for the friends God has sprinkled in my life. One of those wonderful friends was with me when we stumbled across this scarf. Kristyn and I bought the yarn and cast on together when she was here visiting in April. The scarf didn't have a pattern or even a name, so we decided to call it the Girlfriend Scarf. I chose these smoky greys and corals and she chose purples and pinks. You can see her scarf here. It's knit with 2 amazingly different fibers...a merino wool sock yarn and a luscious, frail mohair. Just like friends. Entirely different when apart but wonderful when knit together. Aren't you glad your friends aren't exactly like you? The differences are what make friendship so special. Just like friendship, the scarf took some time to knit. I used every bit of the merino wool. I am so glad I knit this scarf, I will really enjoy it when the weather gets chilly. Every good friendship is the same way, you must give it time and attention in order for it to grow. I encourage you to take some time to let your friends know how much you value them. It'll make their day (and yours too).

"A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more.""A friend loves at all times." Proverbs 17:17

The pattern is over on my sidebar so you can make your own girlfriend scarf! Enjoy! Thanks for being my friends.

(special thanks to Maggie for taking my photos...she took a time out from a game of dodgeball to click some pics for me! :))

12 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

What a gorgeous scarf ... and what a beautiful sentiment. Thanks for sharing!

Kristyn Knits said...

what a wonderful tribute to friendship! you are a treasure! thanks for encouraging me to knit along with you on this scarf. I love it and will think of you each time I wear it.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful scarf!!

Good girl-friends have no equal.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

This is a beautiful yarn and scarf. How nice that you have such a good friend. The really good ones are hard to find.

From All Stitched Up said...

I liked the scarf when I saw it on flicker but now that I read the story I like it so much more. What a lovely thought.

Journeying Five said...

lovely scarf...lovely post!

mark said...

i am so fortunate to have been blessed directly by your friendship with kristyn. and you are both, without a doubt, 2 amazingly wonderful fibers. inseparable since being knit together back in the grove.

a friend to knit with said...

lisa! thank you so much for sharing your pattern.
love the seed stitch.... and melding of two fibers.
i absolutely love it.... and what you said about friends and friendship.

larissa said...

lisa, those two fibers look so beautiful together. your scarf is just lovely. and I love seed stitch - you don't have to pay attention while knitting but so much more interesting than stockinette. i like what you said about friendship - i, too, much prefer to have a few really special friends.

Anonymous said...

That's such a lovely thought behind the design! The scarf is lovely, but the sentiment is gorgeous.

Philigry said...

ithe scarf, and yes, i do have some great girlfriends. don't know what i would do without them!

amanda said...

Love those coffee cosies!