Monday, May 11, 2009

I'll take a refill!

I'll take a repeat on Mother's day, thank you. My honey and kids totally blessed me yesterday. It started off with breakfast in bed and lots of handmade cards. Then after church, John handled life while I dug in the dirt and went to the nursery. He had bought me some plants and I totally enjoyed myself planting them along with some newly acquired perennials that the kids and my mother in law gave me in the form of a gift card. I didn't even have to stop and think about dinner...he (and the kids) took care of that too. (Thanks guys for making my day so great!)Oh, and my flowers from the Lord bloomed just in time for Mother's day too! Every year, the rhododendrons bloom right outside my bedroom window and I always like to think that they are my gift from my heavenly father. Perfect. It was a wonderful day! I hope yours was full of blessings as well.
I did miss seeing my mom though. (love you mom!) She's away on a golf trip, so I gave her gift to her early. She is such a great mom and she has a lot on her plate right now...I knew a coffee break would make her day.
I made her a coffee cuff. I actually made one for all the moms in my life. I filled them with gift cards to their favorite coffee shops so they could enjoy some treats. Every mom needs treats along the way, right? They were a lot of fun to make. It was also a great way to use some trendy fabrics. Pink milk and fairycakes' has a great coffee cozy tutorial on flickr. She has step by step pictures and directions that walk you through the entire process. One thing I found was that on the ends you don't need to add an inch when making your template, a half inch all the way around is fine. I added these cute tags to go inside the cup to give a bit more info on the coffee cuff. I slipped them in with the gift card and a personal note. They are over on my side bar if you'd like to print off some to use with your own coffee cuffs. I sprinkled some shredded package filler in the bottom to make everything a bit prettier.
I made some personalized cuffs for my kid's teachers. For these I just stitched the kid's teacher's names on the cuff before I sewed them together. These made great end of the year thank you gifts. I slipped a Starbucks gift card inside them. Erin also has a coffee cozy pattern on her blog. Hers are super cute too!
So, I'll take a refill on Mother's Day! How about you?

10 comments:

Kristyn Knits said...

girl...

I'm with you. can't wait to post about my mother's day blessings as well. I'll take a refill, please.

so glad you were able to get your hands dirty! can your garden get more wonderful?

the cuffs turned out fabulous!! love the amy butler fabric and the personalization was such a great idea. taking the idea one step further with the information is just like you- thinking of everything.

have a great day!
hugs to all.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Coffee cozies and gift cards are a fantastic gift! Thanks for the idea. So glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely Mother's Day! I love the coffee holders, what a great idea.

Heather said...

I just started reading you blog a few weeks back, and I am just loving it. What a beautiful gift this is for Mother's Day. I love to see so much thought, care and beauty go into something so special. I hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day as well.

larissa said...

i love that you chose to spend your free day gardening - it brought you joy and made your space beautiful! Your coffee holders look amazing! What a great gift. And I'd love to quilt with you - maybe you can even teach me to love digging in the dirt!

Journeying Five said...

awesome gifts..i have seen that erin is making them and french press cozies too! sounds like you had a great mothers day

From All Stitched Up said...

What a wonderful gift idea. I can't wait to use it. Glad you had such a great Mother's DAy.

Heart and Hands said...

Love the ideas about turning a coffee cuff into a special personalized gift. Great job! Happy Mother's Day.

Liz said...

Very cool idea. I bet they all loved them.

Alison said...

Oh, those turned out absolutely adorable! What fabulous blessings!
Happy knitting-
ali