Friday, May 15, 2009

secrets

A couple of weeks back, we were reading during our family worship time about how Jesus came to earth to serve. "Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28. We got to talking about it and decided that we could really do better in the area of serving each other. So, we decided to have a Secret Servant Day. The idea behind it was to look for ways to serve each other in a way that wouldn't draw attention to the server but rather the service. The goal on Secret Servant day was to do 3 secret things that would bless someone in the family - the trick was to do it in secret. I positioned this white board sign on the kitchen counter as a reminder. The entire experiment proved very fruitful. We had beds made by mysterious bed makers, dishes put away without being nagged, toothpaste wiped out of the sink and lots of other miscellaneous blessings. Everyone had fun thinking about ways that they could be a help to each other. We'll definitely be doing this again from time to time...just to keep our servant skills sharp.

"Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way, they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life." 1Timothy 6:19
On a slightly different note, I realize how often we use our white boards throughout the day. I actually have a variety of pictures that I've taken of our white boards when I see something I want to remember. I've started a flickr set with those pictures....feel free to check it out, some of them will make you smile. In the meantime, have a great weekend...I hope it's filled with things that make you smile!

6 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

You and your *fabulous* ideas!!! Can't wait to try this at my house : )

larissa said...

Lisa, this is brilliant. I'm always reminding the kiddos about how we must work together to have a neat and peaceful home and to always look out for one another. But doing it in secret is soo much better and will elicit lots of giggles!

Philigry said...

what a cute story. i love that idea.

Kristyn Knits said...

love this idea! blessing others in secret is so much fun! bet j.s. enjoyed the secret agent aspect.

love the flickr group for all your white board shots. what a great idea!

Journeying Five said...

such a good way for the kids and family to find quiet ways to bless each other!

Sigrun said...

What a wonderful idea. It makes me wish my nestlings, who have all flown the coop, are still home (actually, I wish that all the time--that they would still be here, only not as adults (It's good they have their own homes, jobs and lives) I miss the childhood times. We had a whiteboard, too. They still chuckle about the time I posted: Saturday, 9a.m. Inservice on Broom and Dustpan Techniques! The inservice was well attended.