Friday, December 16, 2011

closing in on Christmas

As we get closer to Christmas, I find myself trying to snatch away moments for savoring the season.  I'm certain that the hours fly by faster in December than in any other month.  In between school, basketball games, and practices we've been:
***learning how to play chess....John and John Samuel have been challenging each other as often as time allows (this is a teaching set and it shows you the moves and directions you can make for each piece...very helpful for me!)
***putting finishing touches on my decorations....this little tree was blank and boring so I hot glued wooden hearts, gingerbread men, candles and pine cones to it.  I tied some homespun fabric to the branches and now it's perfect! 
 ***cracking up at our dog....the kids found her laying on the remote, looking at the TV and they said she was watching Animal Planet! (I think this whole scene interrupted our math one day! )

***adding Christmas lights to more and more corners of our house....it's just so magical with all the beautiful lights.  It's so special to check on my boy and finding him sleeping in the glow of his Christmas lights.  (I always unplug them before I head to bed :))
***reading mysteries and taking notes as we go...after listening to Andrew Clements' Room One, my boy decided to solve the mystery of his chapter book in a similar fashion....works for me, I just like to see him reading and having fun at the same time

 ***for book club we read the light-hearted book: A Redbird Christmas...perfect for holiday time!  One of the ladies at book club gave us each a box loaded with an assortment of cookies that she prepackaged and labeled for us in little cello bags!  What a work of love...a delicious work!


And I've been knitting some little last minute gifts....dishcloths and toasty fingerless mitts....nothing like watching TV by the glow of the Christmas tree and knitting.  Some of our DVR'd favorites include:  NCIS, Person of Interest and Blue Bloods

So how have you been savoring these days before Christmas?  I hope you're finding time to enjoy the moments before they fly by!  It's closing in on Christmas...stay merry!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's looking very merry at your place! I want to sleep in bunk beds with Christmas lights now!!!! That just looks so magical and cozy :) And the labels on the cookies is a great idea! That lady has way too much time on her hands. It's starting to feel more like Christmas around here too, isn't it wonderful! Enjoy this last week!!!

Leslie said...

What a lovely post. I've thought about adding lights to our ficus and I really like what you did with your little tree. I have a small tree that could use some dressing up so you have inspired me. Can't believe Christmas is a week away. I am ready to slow down and savor it!

Sigrun said...

Reading your blogpost (thank you) makes me realize that one can be busy and savor at the same time. Like stopping to smell the roses, but with a Christmas theme.
A blessed Christmas to you and your family.

Tonya Gunn said...

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a joy filled Christmas with you family.
Warm wishes,
Tonya

Anonymous said...

Your house looks beautiful!!! You're a home decorator right???? haha just kidding

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of your dog watching tv and hogging the remote! Your house looks beautiful. At our house we have candles, a fire in the fireplace, an amazing number of pressies under the tree, and a teenage girl who can't sleep because she is so excited about Christmas and wishes it would hurry up!!!

I wish you a very relaxing Christmas where time will slow down so you can enjoy every minute.

Cathy said...

Your pictures are quite good. I love seeing the personal ways in which others decorate. And your list of knitting and movies...good too!

Betsy said...

I love your pictures and your posts. Such a haven of love for your family.

Love your t.v. choices. I like to watch and knit in the evenings also. It's very relaxing.

Blessings,

Betsy
http://betsy-thesimplelifeofaqueen.blogspot.com

Yarny Days said...

Wow. Lots of stuff going on at your end! And great gifts!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I love that quilt that your boy is wrapped up in! Enjoy the festivities!

Liz said...

I love the lights on the bunk beds. I put lights up in my kiddo's rooms, too. That glow is so special...

Kristyn Knits said...

I love the white lights everywhere! The boys' trees give off that warm glow as well. I'd love the leave them up all year long for that!