Monday, April 6, 2009

april showers bring boots of flowers!

One of my favorite things to put out in the spring is my growing collection of rain boots. These are cast off rain boots from my little guy. Each year as he has outgrown his boots, I've kept them and turned them into planters for flowers. I have a group of three. I drill holes in the soles of the boots for drainage and then plant violas or pansies in them for the spring. I just fill them with potting soil and pop in the plants. Usually, some time in the summer when it really starts to get hot, I'll change out the pansies for impatiens. This past weekend I planted boots for this year and I smiled the entire time. I'm not sure if I'll have any new boots to add to my collection...he seems to be outgrowing his desire for wellies.

13 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

What a cute idea! I love the boots all lined up in a row ... can't wait to see how the flowers grow!

From All Stitched Up said...

Great idea!

Mary said...

Smiles.

Kristyn Knits said...

to everything there is a season. your little guy isn't so little anymore. curious that the little guy is the one wearing the wellies. the girls don't like them?

I have my grandfather's old work boots out in the garage. I've kept them for 18 years and not done anything creative with them. maybe this is the year for a cute idea like this!

thanks for the inspiration.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I just saw a picture on someone elses blog with boots as planters and they were adorable. I love your idea of using outgrown boots from your kids....might have to copy you!

cathleen said...

Very cute!

amanda said...

Cute! Love those yellow boots!

Liz said...

Adorable!

Gigi said...

What a great idea! Must go search for old boots ;-)

mark said...

move over italy, the new home for the boot is MD, USA! it is a genuine and wide smile that comes from the sight of a personally repurposed item. the joy and memories woven into their fabric, put the purpose in repurpose.

Journeying Five said...

oh my goodness i could have fed you a gazillion boots, but the idea is so cute that i might just have to use that! love it! so springy! as soon as my snow goes!

The Marini's said...

So cute, Lisa :) You are so creative! I wish I was as crafty as you!
I'm thankful for your friendship.

Alison said...

So cute!!