Saturday, December 13, 2008

you know it's bad

On Friday, White's Ferry had some issues. White's Ferry is a privately owned ferry that offers transportation across the Potomac river between Maryland and Virginia. We use White's Ferry several times a year. But on Friday, during rush hour, the Gen. Jubal A. Early (that's the ferry's name) got stuck. Floating debris got the cables all clogged up and about 2 dozen passengers had to be taken off by rescue boats...while their vehicles remained on the ferry. Nobody was hurt...just delayed. Two hours later rescue workers were able to get the ferry back to land and the commuters were allowed to get into their vehicles and resume their commute.

My first thought after I heard the report was..."I bet they wished they had their knitting with them while they waited!" - You know it's bad when big chunks of time like that look like knitting opportunities!
photo by Barbara L. Salisbury/Washington Times


Here are a couple of things from my weekend that made me smile:

  • Spending time with my oldest as we traveled back and forth to a holiday tournament...she's such a great kid!
  • the truth of this verse: "Lord you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us." Isaiah 26:12

  • listening to all 3 kids talk in English accents as they played Narnia on X-box.

  • a surprise decoration from my mom that looks great on my front step! (it's the tin sign with the candle)
  • a great big chunk of knitting time...finished sweater post is coming! Check back later this week!

5 comments:

kathy b said...

I think of time in knitting too!

I cannot wait to see your sweater finished!

Unknown said...

Well I'm not a knitter - so I think of time in reading. But I love to read about knitting! At least when it comes to reading your blog!

Love E

Mary said...

I would love to hear their English accents.

Kristyn Knits said...

can't wait to see your finished sweater!! are you please with the length?

what a blessing your mom is! love that new decoration.

Anonymous said...

like daughter, like mother. both yours and yours.