Monday, November 17, 2008

a souper day

Sunday my little guy had a fever. He just didn't feel like eating much of anything. Yesterday his fever was gone and his appetite was kicking back into gear but he still wasn't totally back to normal. It was a cold, gray day and soup seemed in order. I knew the crowd would love Chicken Noodle, but I wanted some Pumpkin Curry soup. (I'd had it at my mom's church's Thanksgiving Tea and I craved more) So. I made both. My mother-in-law who lives in an apartment off the main house loves Pumpkin soup so I knew she'd enjoy that as well. They were both big hits! Chicken Noodle Soup

Cook chicken in a pot of water until it falls off the bones. (I cooked 3 breasts and used the extra chicken for chicken salad). Remove the chicken, so it can cool and you can debone it. To the chicken stock add, 1/2 cup each: chopped celery, onion, carrots and parsley. Add 1 clove of minced garlic and 1 packet of chicken broth boullion. When the vegetables are soft, bring your soup to a boil and add your egg noodles. Cook noodles according to the package directions. Add the shredded cooked chicken and season with salt and pepper! Yum!


Pumpkin Curry Soup

Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add 1 cup chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves. Stir frequently for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. To this, add 3 cups chicken broth, and 1 15oz. can of solid pack pumpkin. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes. Stir in 1 12oz can of evaporated milk. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream. Delicious!

Now, those soups were delicious and they really hit the spot, but the thing that truly made this a super day was this note my little guy gave me. He knows how to make my day! I hope your day is a souper, super day too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a souper mom! I would have chosen a small bowl of each. but the best is the.handwritten note! they are priceless. and certainly in this case, well deserved.

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,

I've been in a souper mood too. Must be the weather! I made chicken noodle last Thurs. and beef vegetable last night. The pumpkin soup looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, those soups look yummy!!!! =0) Isaiah loves pumpkin, so we will definitely try that one! Thanks for the recipes!!! =0)

Blessings,
Kelly