Sunday, October 21, 2012

sniffles

We went college visiting last weekend....and I brought home a cold.  Despite my cold, it was a good visit and was actually the last of the visits that Maggie wanted to do as she is wading through this entire college decision process.  I've been so proud of her as she has applied, prayed, visited, researched, prayed and talked through all of the options that are before her.
We're all learning so much throughout this journey and most of it has nothing to do with college!  It all has to do with trusting the Lord and leaning on Him for wisdom and direction.  (I feel like I keep learning some of these lessons over and over....I guess that should tell me something, huh!?)
So, I've been froggy all week and nursing my throat with hot drinks.  I actually had the house to myself 2 times this past week, but I felt too cruddy to even enjoy it!   (you know it's bad when that happens!)
 I've been having to remind myself to be nice....even when I haven't felt very nice.
I've been trying to lay low and get better.  What's that they say about a cold lasting a week or 7 days?  I think I've put in my 7 days so I'm hopeful that this week will be on the upswing!
 I've got to finish reading The Great Gatsby for book club and I think my energy level is up enough that I can keep my eyes open long enough to knock that off.  Have any of you read TGG before?  This is my first time and I'll wait until I finish it to completely decide how I feel about it, but so far I'm feeling like empty extravagance seems quite fitting.  Sometimes I wonder who decides what makes a book a classic.....Anyways, have a great start to your week!  Hope it's full of sunshine and substantial blessings!  (the photos all came from my instagram feed this week....)

5 comments:

trish said...

I am so sorry you have been sick. It seems there is something going around, everywhere. I sure hope you are feeling better real soon.
I did read TGG, in high school, so it has been a real long time. My daughter however has read it recently.

Tracy said...

So sorry you've been under the weather, Lisa... Do hope you'll be on the mend soon.VERY exciting with Maggie college-hunting. Such a mix of emotions this time must be bringing. I hope she will find a place she feels good about going to all around. I've read TGG several times. When I was a teenager F.Scott Fitzgerald was a big literary hero of mine, as I've always loved books & the written word. What's fun is that in recent years I've re-read some of his books, and have out-grown them in a big way. It's hard to describe. I suppose the subject matters of the books themselves--with all the vapid conversations, characters and lifestyles the lead in the books is something I disconnect with as I want a life rich with conversation & meaning! Interesting when we re-visit the books of our youth! :o)

From All Stitched Up said...

I hope you start feeling better right away.

Anonymous said...

I really hope you're feeling much better already. How wonderful that Maggie is being so prayerful in her decision-making, and that you can be right there with her. I always have to remind myself that the best kind of praying consists of listening to what God might have to say to me, rather than telling Him what I have to say.

As for the Great Gatsby, I remember feeling very sad after reading that book. I remember feeling it was a pretty dim view of humanity. I don't know if I'd agree nowadays though.

xox

Kristyn Knits said...

Makes me all teary eyed to think of her walking around "our" campus. You're all doing an awesome job traveling down this college road. xoxo