Monday, August 29, 2011

vine lace vest

I purchased some green cotton classic yarn about 2 years ago from a clearance table in a yarn shop in Lancaster, PA.  It's been waiting for the right pattern/project/time to come along and call its name.  At the beginning of July, Maggie was playing basketball in a tournament at Penn State and I figured I'd have a lot of knitting time in between games - so I pulled the pattern for the vine lace vest and loaded up my clearance yarn in my knitting bag and we headed to State College, PA.  I think I knit 2 rows the entire week....
It was a start however and I continued working on it throughout the summer. It became my traveling summer project.  It went to State College, Pennsylvania, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Hershey, Pennsylvania as well as several lakes and swimming pools.  My biggest dilemma was that I only had 4 skeins and I knew I was going to be pushing it to have enough yardage.  But in the end it all worked out.....I added some extra length to the body and omitted the ribbing on the sleeves. 
This is a great pattern for those of you who like very little seaming.  It is knit in one piece starting with the back and then splitting off for working each front side. 
When you are done with knitting the body, you seam the sides and pick up for the front bands and arm bands.  It's a freebie on Classic Elite's Website which makes it even better!

Here's my knitty gritty:
Pattern: Vines Lace Vest
Needles: sizes 6 and 9
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic, 4 skeins
Size: Medium
Modifications:  I added an extra 3 inches to the length of the vest.  I also seamed the armholes up a little more than the pattern indicated.  I left off the ribbing around each arm. 
Thanks to Maggie my crazy photographer...there's a reason all of these photos are headless.  In most of the photos I looked like this or goofier!   She gets me laughing so hard....
*** Thanks to everyone who checked in with me here regarding our week of weirdness.  We definitely felt the earthquake but everyone was safe and no damage was done. Irene blew through here on Saturday night and left a mess of leaves, sticks and branches in the yard...but thankfully that was all.  I hope this finds everyone safe and sound.   Here's to a week of sunshine and clear skies!

16 comments:

Christina said...

ooohhhh, that is SO pretty! I just might have to try knitting again... : )

And I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are safe...

Anonymous said...

Love the vest and the pattern of the vine. Great job!

Evelyne said...

Love the colour!! Great vest.

Gloria said...

Your knitting looks very professional. What a beautiful job you always do! Love the color and photos...:)

Glad to hear you and your family are safe! Thank God...:)

xoxo...Gloria

Kristyn Knits said...

It fits you perfectly!! Love that color on you!!
I HAVE to start my lace project for Sally for Christmas. Should have brought the yarn to your house...you would have gotten me started!! xoxo

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Green is your color....It looks great on you. Silly daughter....I'm glad she makes you laugh.

Gigi said...

Love it! Such a great color for fall. So glad to hear you made through all the crazy weather and quakes well!
Blessings,
G

Ellen said...

very nice!

cathleen said...

Oh, my Lisa...that's a really pretty color and it looks lovely on you. Thanks for your visit and thanks for not giving up on me.

From All Stitched Up said...

I love your vest. I think giggling is absolutely the best. You look cute and happy.

stitching under oaks said...

thanks everyone!

Larissa said...

So glad to hear you and your family are safe and sound - and that you have power! I haven't been around here much i think of you often.

So much fun to see you and Kristyn playing and laughing together.
Love your vest and how great you look in it. How cool that you have such and wonderfully close relationship with your teen girls - i'm taking notes!

Tracy said...

Oh, this is a lovely vest, Lisa! That lacey openwork is wonderful! And you look so good in green. I like that photo of you laughing--you look HAPPY! So glad you & yours are all right after Irene... whew... Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful vest (and I like your goofy photo!). I'm glad you're safe, I was thinking about you.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Your vest turned out lovely! I love all the lace. I'm glad you guys are all healthy and okay after mother nature blew through your area.

a friend to knit with said...

oh, lisa. it is LOVELY! absolutely perfect!