Thursday, August 4, 2011

flubber fun

Looking for something fun to do the other night, John Samuel and I found ourselves in the kitchen looking for specific ingredients.  I didn't have enough cornstarch to make play dough.  We were all out of heavy cream, so homemade ice cream was out.  Then I remembered one of the girls having brought home some flubber from science class one time. 
We googled the directions and were on our way in no time concocting and discovering.  We used this video and got perfect results the first time. (it helps that I use the borax for our laundry detergent....that's the only odd ingredient involved)  
This was the perfect activity for my creative boy....he played for a long time with the flubber and was delighted to show his sisters when they returned home.  (they were pretty impressed) And although it looks messy...it really was quite contained and relatively 'clean'. 
We just used regular old dollar store glue and added some food coloring before mixing.  The trick is having two bowls...one with borax and water and the other with glue, food coloring and water.  You pour the glue mixture into the borax mixture and after some mixing....voila!!
We're already planning on a repeat performance when Connor comes....it's so much fun! 
If you're looking for a fast, fun project that keeps you out of the heat...I highly recommend flubber.  Even the name is fun!
....and his daddy discovered that when stored in a small container...it can be squished around to make totally cool sounds that boys will especially enjoy! 
 

13 comments:

Meg said...

This may be just the thing for our restless crowd--it looks like fun!

Christina said...

Lol...yes, that sounds like the kind of thing that even my little fellows at the ripe old ages of almost-4 and almost-2 would enjoy. Thank you for sharing your experiment with us!

Kristyn Knits said...

You're such a good mom!! You always take the time to find an activity, a book, a special craft for the young ones! Connor will LOVE making this with J.S.!!

Tonya Gunn said...

That looks like great fun - I know some children that would enjoy playing with that.
Warm wishes,
Tonya

Leslie said...

OH how fun! I think I would like playing with that. And what a great color!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I can only imagine the noises. I know a boy who would have a great appreciation for such sounds.

no spring chicken said...

Oh yes, we've done flubber...

Blessings, Debbie

Anonymous said...

I bet the noise-making was the best part!

Liz said...

My kids love making this too. Just keep it off your wooden furniture! My kiddos left some on a table and it lifted the finish.

Gigi said...

Oh how gloopy and fun that looks. I've got to forward this to my dd -- I think her 7 year old boy would really love this!
Blessings,
GG

Ruth said...

I will have to make this with my son and his friend.

Ruth

Ellen said...

We made this for a few birthday parties (I think ours were green for alien goo and blue and pink for an art party). I know my boys (and girl) would like to try this again.

Unknown said...

Oooo, thanks for sharing - I will have to try this with Isaiah. Finding fine motor skills/sensory activities is hard when it involves clay or anything like it - this actually sounds safe for him (YAY!!!). =0)