Wednesday, April 6, 2011

today

a glimpse into our day.  today. 
We are working on school....that involves every room of the house.  John Samuel is doing math fact practice at the dining room table, Maggie is writing a speech in the school room and Mckenzie has been reading in the craft room, studying science in her bedroom and doing spelling in the dining room.  She doesn't stay still long enough for me to get her picture. 

Someone is being tempted by cookies....I did manage to capture Kenzie as she was trying to sneak a cookie.  She is my carb lover.  I've gotta keep the cookies hidden or she'll snarf them up.  We bought these sugar cookies yesterday and they are almost gone..

These are the kids current literature reads.  From top to bottom-Maggie, Mckenzie and Jammer.  We don't typically have all biographies going at the same time, it just worked out that way.  Maggie and Mckenzie are both taking literature classes and their books were assigned by their lit teacher.  John Samuel's was from his reading curriculum.  I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  It's my next book for book club - I started it at baseball practice the other night, but didn't get very far. I kept getting distracted watching hitting and pitching practice. 
I've got dinner in the crock pot.  It's a chuck roast and the family will enjoy it without me.  Tonight is girl's night out!!  I'm meeting some friends for dinner and can hardly wait to see them all.  We try to get out once a month but we missed March and so it'll be fun to catch up with everyone over dinner. 

Molly is loving the sunshine.  She wants to be on the deck all day long, watching the squirrels and sniffing the air.  I don't blame her, I keep poking around the yard too, watching for the signs of new life in the flower beds.

I'm puzzling over the pattern for Pleated Ballet Flats....it was written assuming that the knitter knows how to knit from two circular needles and how to do short rows and hide the wraps.  I do not know how to do either of those things.  I've been watching videos and looking up information on those techniques.  I will figure it out....I'm determined.  (I have to admit it's fun in a challenging sort of way) I'll keep you posted on my progress. 

I'm wishing I had a pussy willow tree...I bought these at the grocery store and I love them so much.  They are in a crock on my hearth.  Sometimes I find the kids picking off the little fuzzies....stinkers!
I hope that whatever is going on in your life today that you find yourself blessed by the ordinary beauty that surrounds you.

14 comments:

Kristyn Knits said...

Looks like there's A LOT going on in that home of yours!! I love how you captured it all and are totally present for each activity. Enjoy each moment.

You're SO far ahead of us in spring. We're still cold and rainy and sometimes still snowy.

Gloria said...

Wonderful shots of your family life. I read The Secret Life of Bees (have the dvd also). It was an interesting read. We are starting up with baseball season here. Tonight is our grandson's first game. He is so excited!

I love the pussy willow tree branches, they are very pretty. So are those cookies, making them a little hard to resist I am sure! :)

Enjoy your girl's night out!

xoxo Gloria

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Good luck with your ballet flats can't wait to see them! I hope you have a wonderful night out with your girlfriends (so jealous), I really enjoyed The Secret Life of Bee's so I hope you do as well. Have a wonderful rest of your week.

natasharose said...

I love seeing your daffodils! Spring is in the air! What a nice glimpse into your family life, looks like a home I would have loved to grow up in!

Leslie said...

Love this post! Our days are very similar to yours, just change up some of the details...different book titles, brown dog with straight hair, honeysuckle, daughter sitting at a type writer and me knitting something no where near as cool as what you are knitting. =)

Sally said...

Sounds like a great day! I loved The Secret Life of Bees - I hope you will enjoy it, too!

Stephanie said...

What a nice day! Love seeing all the flowers already blooming, it's still a bit early here. I'm making a roast in my crock pot tomorrow, but I wish I had the cookies for dessert, maybe I'll have to make some :)

Heather said...

Everything looks busy but great. Wishing you the sweetest of Spring days.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

It's nice to come along for a day in your life. My daughter sounds a lot like yours....cookies, cake, really anything sweet just evaporates around her (and she never gains a pound).

Tracy said...

A day in the life... I love post like these! Very fun to have a glimpse into the secret life of your family, Lisa! Those cookies....look sooo good! I'd snarf 'em up too. ;o) Spring seems to at last be visiting us here--and today, joy of JOYS, the first of our crocuses bloomed! I love pussy willow... wish we had one too. Happy Spring Days to you all ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite reads! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Anonymous said...

What a great post - I love all these glimpses into your life. Just now I'm listening to the sound of a passing train. It's a lovely American thing that I'd forgotten about and am enjoying. A simple pleasure. I hope your girls' night out was great fun.

Larissa said...

Great post! so often we wait for something 'special' to happen in order to document it forgetting that every 'today' is full of special moments. Hope you had a fun dinner out! I really enjoyed secret life of bees too - i think you'll like it a lot.

I stayed up late last night and read one thousand gifts - i ordered it right after i read your post and it was here waiting for me when i got back from the beach with the kiddos. thank you so much for the recommendation - we need to continuously remind ourselves of all the gifts that we have and this was a good time for me to read this book. Thank you Lisa, for enriching my life once again!

Tiffani said...

Did I spy a Calculadder?

Ahh, spring!